Monday, February 15, 2021
175 years in prison is not enough
Abuse scandal “is far from over”
Larry Nassar has been sentenced to 175 years in prison, but Simone Biles’ sexual abuse scandal is not over. The US gymnast calls on her association to clarify the actions of the former national team doctor. She would advise her daughter against starting for the USA.
US gymnastics star Simone Biles has also not finished talking about the subject three years after she made her sexual abuse public by a national team doctor. “Oh, it’s far from over,” said the four-time Olympic champion of 2016 in Rio den Janeiro in an interview broadcast on Sunday on the program “60 Minutes” on the US television channel CBS.
There are still many unanswered questions. “Who knew what when?” Said the 23-year-old. In their opinion, the USA Gymnastics Association and the US Olympic and Paralympic Committees have done too little to clear up the abuse scandal by team doctor Larry Nassar. You have “one hundred percent” the feeling of being let down. “We bring them medals. We do our part. You can’t do your part? It’s just sick,” Biles said.
The gymnast made public in January 2018 that she, like many other athletes, had been sexually abused by the team doctor as teenagers in Béla and Martha Károlyi’s training center. Perpetrator Nassar was sentenced to 175 years in prison for his crimes. 156 girls and women had testified in the trial. 265 gymnasts made sexual abuse by Nassar public. Former USA Gymnastics President Steve Penny was also arrested on suspicion of covering up evidence and faces several years in prison.
If she had a daughter, Simone Biles would not let her start for the national team because of the still inadequate clarification of the scandal in her opinion. “No,” she said when asked, “Because I don’t feel comfortable enough, because you are not responsible for your actions and what you have done. And you have not assured us that it will never happen again will happen.”
Simone Biles is currently preparing for the Tokyo Olympics, which have been postponed to 2021. She is the only active gymnast who was affected by the abuse scandal.