An attacker rammed a police car at the entrance to the Capitol grounds


All buildings that make up the US Capitol Campus in Washington were locked down Friday afternoon following reports of gunfire in the area. According to law enforcement agencies, the attacker rammed the car in which there were two Capitol police officers with his car.

The incident occurred at the entry point to the Capitol compound near Independence Avenue, on the so-called North Barricade.

The suspect in the attack died in hospital. Both police officers were injured and taken to hospital, later one of them also died from his injuries. A police spokesman confirmed this information at a press briefing.

As Acting Director told reporters. Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman, the suspect rammed a police car, then got out of his car and attacked police officers with a knife in his hand. In response, the police opened fire, the suspect died of his wounds.

Yogananda Pittman, Acting capitol police chief

“It looks like it has nothing to do with terrorism, but … the investigation is still ongoing,” said Robert Conti, acting. Chief of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department.

“It’s clear that (the suspect) was actively trying to get to someone or something else – we just don’t know right now, so we have to investigate this to get to the bottom of it,” Conti said.

A little later, several television channels, including CNN and NBC, citing sources in law enforcement, named the suspect – according to journalists, 25-year-old Noah Green attacked the police. The police are investigating the motives for the attack.

Today’s incident killed William Evans, an 18-year Capitol Police veteran. This is stated in the statement of the acting. Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released a statement saying that “America’s heart is broken today by the tragic … death of one of the heroes of the Capitol Police, Officer William Evans. He suffered for our democracy. Members of Congress, Capitol staff and employees, and all Americans are grateful for the courage shown by the Capitol Police, ”Pelosi said in a statement.

The speaker promised all possible assistance to law enforcement agencies from Congress to conduct a comprehensive investigation of the attack on police officers.

Due to the emergency, all entrances and exits to the Capitol were blocked for several hours “due to a threat to external security.” Employees were unable to enter or leave buildings on campus.

The Capitol isolation regime was lifted at about 3:20 pm US East Coast time. According to CNN, personnel in the Capitol building were alerted via loudspeakers that the “isolation due to external threat” was completed. All people in the Congress building must continue to follow police instructions.

The deputy chief of staff of the Speaker of the House of Representatives said that Nancy Pelosi had given the order to lower the flags outside the Capitol building in mourning for the death of a police officer.

US President Joe Biden and his wife expressed condolences to the family of the deceased Capitol police officer.

“Jill and I were heartbroken after learning of the attack on the US Capitol checkpoint,” Biden said. “We offer our sincere condolences to the family of Police Officer Evans and to all those who mourn his loss.”

Biden ordered the flags to be lowered over the White House, “as a sign of mourning for the loss of another brave police officer.”

Share to friends
Add a comment