Atomic Energy Agency IAEA continues controls in Iran

WORLD NEWS

After negotiations in Tehran, the international atomic authority can continue its controls in Iran. However, the agreement is only valid for three months.

The International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA can continue its controls of the Iranian nuclear program to a limited extent. An acceptable result had been achieved during his visit to Tehran, said IAEA chief Rafael Grossi on his return to Vienna on Sunday evening.

Iran announced a law for Tuesday to limit the authority’s right to short-term inspections of possible nuclear facilities. The temporary agreement is initially valid for up to three months, added the head of the authorities. However, the inspectors would have less access to the systems.

The inspections are part of the 2015 international nuclear deal that was supposed to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons. In return, the economic sanctions against the country should be ended. However, the US stepped out of the agreement in 2018 under then-President Donald Trump.

A year later, Iran began to violate the requirements step by step and, among other things, pushed ahead with uranium enrichment.

Biden is waiting for Iran’s decision

In the nuclear dispute with Iran, the US government sees the leadership in Tehran on the train. President Joe Biden is ready to return to the negotiating table to talk to the Iranians about “how we can get back strict restrictions on their nuclear program,” said National Security Advisor in the White House, Jake Sullivan, on Sunday the broadcaster CBS News. “The offer remains because we believe diplomacy is the best way to do it.” Iran has not yet responded to the offer of talks. “The ball is in their field.”

The State Department in Washington announced on Thursday that the United States was ready to hold talks with Tehran in the dispute over the Iranian nuclear program, which raised hopes of the international nuclear agreement among other signatory states.

Iran is waiting for the US

The Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said, according to the US broadcaster CNBC, that Donald Trump’s policy of maximum pressure would still be applied to Iran. “The US is addicted to sanctions, but they should know that Iran will not give in to the pressure. We do not want nuclear weapons,” Zarif is quoted as saying.

Iran sees the ball in the field of the US, which would have to take the first step to relaunch the 2015 program.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Sarif rejected a nuclear meeting planned by the EU with the US on Sunday without lifting the US sanctions. “The US cannot easily return to the nuclear deal,” Sarif told Press TV news channel. Before such a meeting, the agreement would have to be implemented in accordance with the treaty and, in particular, the US sanctions would have to be lifted, said the Foreign Minister.

The nuclear deal was concluded in 2015 between Iran and the USA, Germany, France, Great Britain, Russia and China. Biden’s predecessor Donald Trump unilaterally terminated the agreement in 2018. For a possible return to the agreement, the new US administration states that Tehran must once again fully meet its obligations.

Share to friends
Add a comment