Tuesday, June 1st, 2021
Slaughterhouse is lame
Hackers attack the world’s largest meat company
The US subsidiary of the world’s largest meat company JBS has been the target of a hacker attack. The attack paralyzes the systems – in Australia the slaughter lines are at a standstill. How long it will take to remedy the consequences of the cyber attack is unclear. This has devastating consequences for 10,000 employees.
The world’s largest meat company JBS reports a hacker attack on its US subsidiary. JBS USA was the target of an “organized cyber attack” that hit some servers in the North American and Australian IT systems, the company announced. The unauthorized access was found on Sunday. In Australia, thousands of JBS workers had to be sent home.
The Brazilian company said that all affected systems had been stopped and the authorities had been informed. In-house and external IT experts are on duty to remedy the consequences of the hacker attack. This will take some time, which could delay some transactions with customers and suppliers. Backup servers are reportedly not affected. The company had no information that data from customers, suppliers or employees had been compromised or misused, said JBS USA.
In Australia, operations were paralyzed by the hacker attack. There 10,000 JBS workers were sent home without pay, as union representative Matt Journeaux said. The management does not yet know when operations can be resumed.
Multinational corporations are often targeted
JBS processes beef, poultry and pork and is one of the largest food groups in the world. He sells meat in Brazil and other Latin American countries, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the UK.
Multinational corporations are regularly targeted by hackers. In early May, the largest pipeline in the United States was attacked by cyber criminals. After the attack, the company’s entire pipeline network, which runs from Texas to the New York metropolitan area, was temporarily shut down.
This led to gasoline shortages in the eastern United States, made worse by panic buying by numerous motorists. In the meantime, operations have resumed. The operator admitted to having paid the hackers a ransom of around 3.6 million euros.