US President Trump wants to withdraw soldiers from several countries, including Germany. However, nothing has come of the announced quick procedure so far. The plans are already heavily criticized.
While US President Donald Trump is pacing the troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq, the planned reduction in the number of soldiers stationed in Germany does not seem to be getting underway. “We currently have no new information on this,” said the command center for US troops in Europe (Eucom) in Stuttgart.
In the summer, Trump’s government announced the withdrawal of 12,000 of the 36,000 soldiers stationed in Germany – the plans primarily affected three locations in Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria and Rhineland-Palatinate. His defense minister, Mark Esper, who has since been fired, said at the end of July that the first soldiers could leave the country “within weeks”. This has turned into almost four months.
US troop withdrawal also under Biden?
The Trump administration had one on Tuesday Accelerated troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and announced from Iraq and was thus met with criticism from NATO partners, but also from its own Republican Party. The withdrawal of troops from Germany is also controversial there.
It is still unclear how it will continue after Trump is replaced by the Democratic election winner Joe Biden on January 20th. Federal Foreign Minister Heiko Maas (SPD) indicated on Wednesday that he hopes that the previous plans will change. “That will take a long time and of course the decisions of the new administration will also have an impact,” he said when asked about the withdrawal of troops.