A former security guard at the Neuengamme Nazi concentration camp is allowed to be deported from the USA to Germany. Until the end of the war in 1945 he guarded prisoners under horrific conditions.
A German living in the USA who was a security guard in a concentration camp in 1945 is allowed to be deported. An appeal body for immigration issues had rejected the objection of the person concerned against a deportation ordered by a judge in February, said the US Department of Justice on Thursday (local time).
The man was “an active participant in one of the darkest chapters in human history,” said a representative of the ICE immigration service, Louis A. Rodi III. The US offered no protection to war criminals, he emphasized.
“Until exhaustion and death”
According to the US judiciary, Friedrich Karl B., who lives in the state of Tennessee, confessed to guarding prisoners in a satellite camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp in Hamburg near Meppen in Lower Saxony. The Justice Department did not provide any information about the age of the man. It also remained unclear how long he had lived in the United States and when he should be deported.
The reasoning for the February judgment stated that Jews, Poles, Russians, Danes, Dutch, French and political prisoners had been detained in the satellite camp. They were interned in the winter of 1945 under horrific conditions and had to work “to the point of exhaustion and death”. The German guarded the prisoners in March 1945 during the march to Neuengamme even after the subcamp was closed. Around 70 prisoners were killed “under inhuman conditions,” it said.
The Hamburg Neuengamme was the largest concentration camp in Northwest Germany from 1938 to 1945, as the concentration camp memorial explains on its website. More than 100,000 people from all over Europe were imprisoned in the main camp and in over 85 subcamps. In Neuengamme, in the satellite camps and when the camps were cleared at the end of the war, around 43,000 prisoners died, the memorial said.